Ask us about customized
General Back Care Education
Appropriate for any individual who is interested in learning how to
prevent back injury and maintain a “healthy” back.
- Prevalence, causes and risk factors for low back injury
- Basic anatomy of the spine
- Safe body mechanics for various tasks and activities
Selecting Correct Lift, Transfer And Positioning Equipment
There is a wide continuum of equipment available for lifts and transfers. Often it may be challenging to determine what equipment is appropriate for the client based on their abilities and the environmental barriers they face. This session will cover the range of equipment available and the client and environmental criteria that need to be considered prior to the use of equipment. While the focus will be on mechanical lifts and slings, alternative client handling and repositioning equipment will also be discussed.
- Categories of lift and transfer equipment based on functional abilities of the user
- Various slings available for lifts
- Safety factors for the operation of lifting equipment
Lift, Transfer And Repositioning Training
Our educators in conjunction with your Motion Specialties Representative will provide a hands-on opportunity for participants to apply and use various lift, transfer and positioning equipment safely and correctly.
- 1. Application and use of client handling equipment
- 2. Safety steps prior to and during use of equipment
- 3. Alternate options for sling application
Safe Client Handling Seminar (Train-the-trainer)
This session is an amalgamation of back care, equipment selection and lift, transfer and repositioning training. It is appropriate for members of an Injury Prevention Team or Lifting “Champions” within your organization. The aim is to coach and empower participants to act as in-house lift and transfer resource personnel.
Bed Safety And Entrapment
The focus of this session is an overview of the seven zones of bed entrapment, as well as the benefits, risks and possible alternatives to bed side rails.
- Benefits and risks of bed side rail use
- Bed entrapment risks as categorized by the seven zones of bed entrapment
- Potential solutions for mitigating entrapment risks
This session will enhance your knowledge of the policies, procedures and guidelines used to address falls prevention. We will review the importance of an assessment upon admission in order to identify those residents who are at risks for falls. It will also include a review of prevention approaches through exploring various fall prevention strategies and interventions. The importance of monitoring and evaluating resident outcomes as well as addressing the significant role an interdisciplinary team plays in fall prevention and management will be discussed.
- Identifying residents who are at risk for falls
- Strategies to prevent resident falls
- Products to prevent and/or minimize the impact of falls
Top 10 Tips for Getting (& Keeping) Residents in Wheelchairs
This interactive session will reinforce to front-line caregivers how transferring clients into a wheelchair appropriately will often eliminate the need for repositioning later. This session offers solutions to staff to minimize injury and maximize comfort and safety of residents.
- Importance of good positioning
- Steps involved to achieve good posture in a wheelchair
- Correct set-up of seating in a wheelchair
Least Restraint Use And Alternatives
Learn how to minimize falls and injury while maximizing the client’s right to live at risk. This session focuses on various restraint options as a guide in determining when and where their use is appropriate.
- Identification of potential causes of falls
- Alternatives to restraints
- Correct use of equipment as a restraint
Understanding Therapeutic Surfaces
The focus of this session is to define different types of therapeutic surfaces and understand their importance in a comprehensive treatment plan. Participants will enhance their ability to choose an appropriate therapeutic surface based on contributing factors.
- Categories of support surfaces
- Client and environmental factors used in the selection of support surfaces
- Role of therapeutic support surfaces in a physical management plan